Disclaimer: This site is NOT in anyway affiliated with Mothering Magazine, Mothering.com, or MotheringDotCommunity.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Bob Sears has an Odd Moment of Clarity

A reader had a question about her sister's induction.

it's just not appropriate for me to give medical advice in such a specific case. I don't have any experience with the Cervidal. I will say, though, that I'm not a fan of pitocin for induction or augmentation of labor. I understand that it's a dilemma deciding to induce or go more natural and wait it out longer. But I have to recommend that you follow your OB's advice on this.

To which another angry poster says:

...well then what are you on here for? Seriously... You're just afraid of liability like any other doctor. Instead of doing what's best for mothers, you're worried about giving medical advice to someone asking for it... and you're a doctor.... Or a coward. One of the two.

Heh.

Doctor Bob:

This isn't even worth responding too, but I will for the benefit of the others on this forum. It's nothing to do with liability. It has everything to do with the fact that it is completely irresponsible for any doctor to give medical advice on life and death decisions without performing a detailed history and physical examination. So, anytime someone asks me to give my opinion in an area that crosses this line, I have to decline. I'm shocked (or maybe I shouldn't be?) at your response, tone, and unrealistic expectation that I would actually render a medical opinion as to whether or not someone should undergo labor induction ON AN INTERNET FORUM. Seriously?

Yup. They're serious. Welcome to MDC, dude. Take a good long look at the monster your feeding.

1 comment: